ECO COUNCIL MEETING
- Introduction: Vote for Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Secretaries.
- Photograph council
- Complete Environmental review to decide which areas we need to focus on this year e.g. Energy, Recycling etc.
The Eco-council try to meet up once a month to discuss ideas and any eco issues we may have.
Created and designed by Jessica.
Sustran’s Silver Active Travel Award
Our Eco-Committee and Miss Alexander have been working hard to promote Active Travel in school.
Our hard work and dedication to Active Travel has been recognised by Sustrans in February 2018 when we achieved the Silver Active Travel award.
Eco-Schools at Leaney Primary School
Eco-Schools is an international programme aimed at raising students awareness of sustainable development issues.
Children are encouraged to take an active role in how their school can be run for the benefit of the environment.
Leaney Primary School achieved the Green Flag award on 31st May 2017.
Since then the pupils and staff of Leaney PS have continued to work on environmental awareness through classroom teaching and whole school participation in a number of ways.
We do this through:
- Recycling: batteries, paper (blue bins and scrap paper drawers in all classrooms), stamps, ink cartridges and clothes ('Cash for Clobber')
- Active Travel - 'Safe Routes to School' map and 'Ditch the Dark Day'
- Community links: Collecting towels and blankets for BARK and School food collection for Ballmoney Foodbank.
- Biodiversity: Pond, bird boxes, bug hotel
- Saving energy: solar panels and energy monitoring
- School Grounds: Litter picking rota for Key Stage 2 classes, planters in the courtyard for every class
The Eco Council have been busy planting Daffodil bulbs at the front of school. We are looking forward to the spring of the year when we hopefully will see a lovely display of colourful flowers!
CASH FOR CLOBBER 2018
"Cash for Clobber" aims to send clothes that can be reworn to the ‘developing world’ – creating a cleaner, brighter future for everyone. Currently, 75% of the world’s population depend on second-hand clothing.
The Eco Council participated in the scheme and collected 190kg of unwanted clothing and shoes. We are excited to find out how much money we have raised for our school!
WASTE WEEK 2018
On 1st May 2018, every class in school took part in a Litter Pick around the school grounds. The ECO Committee would like to say a huge well done to everyone taking part in our litter pick – look at all the bags collected!
In January... Dr Bike came into school to teach us how to look after and check our bikes to make sure that they are safe to travel to school on.
January 2018: We are taking part in 'Switch Off Fortnight.'
Pupils and staff are making a special effort to switch off all electrical equipment in classrooms over lunch and make sure that doors and windows are closed to keep the heat in!
The results are in..... FOUR classes earned the most points for their energy saving efforts!
Have a look and see what we have been up to in our Eco-Garden.